Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Don't tell me they let YOU in?!?!?!

After Mission #169's first Child ID program that we had at Carnaval, I volunteered at a second one in Bernal Heights.

So I was walking around, handing out fliers to the various families and a person behind me says, “Don't tell me they let YOU in?!?!?!” I turn around, and it's J., a friend of mine whom I haven't seen in about 7 years. J. is there with his wife & family, and I was quite flabbergasted!

Over 10 years ago, one of the first times I ever sang the role of Sarastro in The Magic Flute, I did it at a young artist Summer Opera program here in San Francisco. While I was there, J. was a cool, young tenor who sang the part of the 'bad guy,' Monostatos. It was there & then that I started telling him what I knew about Masonry, what they represented, and how someday I'd like to join.

Fast forward 10 years, and he asked about me & my involvement in Masonry and I told him what I've been up to.

He then says: By the way, I'm the Marshall of California #1!

It seems that he's been a Mason for about 5 years or so, not long after I moved to Florida.

What do you know... I haven't seen the man for 7 years, and not only is he a good friend, but he's a brother.

It was surreal, but in a great way.

Photo: The Magic Flute from the Metropolitan Opera

No comments: